Monday, February 8, 2010

Privacy in the Classroom

In my first blog I mentioned my discomfort with the idea of blogging. This is not only due to having write, but also with having to release my thoughts (in writing) into the world. In my last blog the issue of my identity came up. In another class, we learned that the university is previewing a facebook app. The app will allow you to chat with other people taking courses in the same subject, e.g. all math or all bio , unlike the learning management systems such as blackboard or webct, where you can chat just within your course.

So all these things relate to the issue of privacy. With a name that is a little more unique than let's say "Jane Smith", I am hesitant to publish under my name. I am also hesitant to add any professional (including course related) information to my facebook account. We read about people who's information online have impeded the progress of their careers. On the other hand, I am learning so much from writing this blog and reading the blogs of my classmates. In a discussion with other grad students, several mentioned using facebook as a professional networking site, as well as for personal reasons.

Were do you stand? Would you use an educational/professional app in facebook, or another social networking site? Do you feel comfortable sharing your ideas in an open and public forum? How comfortable would you be communicating with classmates or your own students via facebook? How comfortable do you think current freshmen would be with this situation?

By the way, if you lean towards the more open side of things, then i guess you are already buzzing? Buzz is google's new social networking tool, yet another way to stay connected and share.

4 comments:

  1. Buzz.... Yea.... I am not very sure about the utility of Buzz... with so many portals to update our ever changing thoughts..... how much time are we willing to spend on all of these sites.. just thinking ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have similar thoughts as above comment. Social networking isnt the best way to socialize and probably the least effective way to collaborate and share more 'serious' thoughts and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sensed in our other class a collective cynicism regarding the blending of facebook/social networking with professional life. Maybe thats because we were called "cynical graduate students." :) I think I fall on the cautious side; I find it somewhat inappropriate to blend professional networking with facebook, but then again, appropriate is a concept we can create and change. I think I prefer having a boundary there, though. I can see joining a group to get updates, but thats about as far as I would like to take it.

    I dont communicate with students on facebook, and I dont support communicating with them this way (even if it were about only school-related things). I certainly wouldnt want my profile to be accessible to them, but I suppose facebook could be utilized in way such that my profile wouldnt be accessible. It does seem though that such a mechanism might be duplicating the other tools out there for us to use to communicate (elearning commons, etc).

    As far as the freshmen (and the idea presented in our other class), I can see some students utilizing the application. You never know what could take off. Unlike texting which seems to in the end promote some kind of distance (ironically), at this That technology would result in them eventually meeting in person for a study group? Although I guess it could be used how yahoo is - where people just post questions / answers. Hmmmm.

    Good questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At some point we have wonder where the line is between your professional and social life. Most of us have started Facebook accounts for personal use, but the company has probably had a professional network component in mind for some time. I feel like you should only post things online that you want someone to see, because everything you post is seen by someone. I am not sure how much I want to blend my personal and professional networking, but I am sure that I could always create a separate account for each portion of my life.

    ReplyDelete