Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bill Gate's Annual letter cites the potential for online learning

In his annual letter, Bill Gates regards online learning, especially interactive programs, as one of the areas for which his foundation will provide more support in the future. He paid a good bit of attention to free online resources, as well as better organization and review of the resources currently available. Although, I agree that online resources, when used effectively and tailored for it's particular audience (eg based on education level) can enhance the learning experience, I also think about the ramifications for traditional education institutions like 4-year universities/colleges.

A quote from the letter: "Self-motivated students can take entire courses on their own. If they want to prove they learned the material to help qualify for a job, a trusted accreditation service independent from any school should be able to verify their abilities."

Such a motivated student is most likely goal-driven, and serious about their educational success. Does that student miss out on or lose on any significant learning experiences by taking a course on-line? Should these online course require synchronous experiences, or require enrollment during a specific time period (e.g. semester) to ensure discussion and exchange of ideas among students? Or is it sufficient just to interact with the program and maybe an online instructor? Will more universities become "trusted accreditation services" with fewer on-campus students?

I'm thinking "it depends" and I'm sure some of you will think that as well. So let me hear from you. What do you think? What might it depend on?

Also, aren't you glad we're all going to be better teachers with technology after this course. Maybe some of us will be receiving Gates foundation grants in the future? (if you do, remember you heard it here ;-)

7 comments:

  1. I wonder if certain aspects of learning are missing when working only in an online environment. I have a friend who had done all of her post-secondary education online, so I guess I will have to ask her. I also wonder how one motivates the students who traditionally difficult to engage when you never have direct contact. I think these are all issues that will continue to be addressed with increasing presence of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that these issues need to be addressed. however, issues addressed or not, this journey towards education becoming virtual is picking up steam. I think, there is a lot of potential, and some really serious shortcomings... Like every technology (read two edged sword) I guess we will have to accept the positives, and try to rectify the negatives and make the best of whatever we have

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice piece of information and toughts in this blog. Now I can relate to the importance of online benchmark certification tests. Including GRE and other IT related certifications.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,
    I am not able to see the owner's name for this blog? is the profile restricted to some users?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the feedback. The last couple comments bring up another issue with technology in the classroom - Privacy! I think I'll address this in my next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll look forward to your thoughts on privacy! Regarding your questions about online learning, I am watching these very questions take shape at the University level. I am a keen believer in social learning theory, that is the importance of others in our own learning, so the thought of students working through lessons on their own is not my favorite image of the learning process. However, I realize that some students may prefer this method and learn just as much (or more) than those who work with a cohort.

    ReplyDelete